Friday, June 12, 2009

Dante's Inferno

I am convinced that there is a Walmart ring of hell, and through the magic of a wormhole in the time-space continuum, instances of the aforementioned ring of hell exist right here on earth. I should know; I was at Walmart today.

There's a Walmart on the same road as the car dealership and since I had to get my car's oil changed AND wanted to get a new bike for J's birthday (he comically dwarfs his 12" one), I figured I'd kill the proverbial two birds with one stone.

Yeah, right.

Last night, courtesy of their website, I found that Walmart is one of the few local retailers that sells reasonably priced 18" bikes. I was also happy to find that the website indicated that the store closest to the car dealership had ample stock of several styles of 18" boys' bikes.

Again: Yeah, right.

The store only had one model of 18" bike available, and it was a very girly light blue one with streamers in the handlebars. I suppose I should be happy that the store had ANY 18" bikes since I was able to confirm that it was indeed the correct size for J, but what genius hardcoded the inventory check feature? I suspect that if those bikes are indeed in stock, they're somewhere deep in the bowels of some stockroom, buried under boxes lawn furniture where employees hide out and smoke pot during their shift.

I now have one choice but to order site-to-store. Shudder...

No comments: