Sunday, December 11, 2011

Really? That was it?

Karate mom is back with an update.

Turns out that she was all worked up over nothing (No!  All of that angst and worry turned out to be for nothing?  Say it isn't so!).

See, I thought that, during a belt test, the student was required to perform the form(s) individually, under the watch of a black belt, and said black belt would determine whether or not the student has demonstrated a certain (unbeknownst to me, Karate mom) level of mastery.

Boy, was I wrong.

I had no idea that a belt test was basically another class, including the black belts walking around the room except instead of offering instruction, they are observing and grading the students.

And I was all worked up, wondering if I needed to whip out the old "As Long As You Tried Your Best" speech or not.

It turns out that I was all worried for nothing.  On one hand, I was relieved that I didn't have a disappointed child who didn't achieve a much desired goal; but on the other hand, I was annoyed that I was all worked up over what was basically a given.  However, I can deal with my annoyance.  Especially after seeing J's face when he got his orange belt.  That was worth all of the worry, the angst, the wondering.

Yes, my son is a level 9 orange belt in Tang Soo Do.  I am so proud of that boy.

No comments: