Friday, December 2, 2011

That Mom, at karate

Yeah, I was That Mom tonight.

J has been taking karate (Teng Soo, actually, not that I would know the difference between that and any other type of martial arts) since September and is loving it.  Next week is his first belt test.

Tonight, they were going over form one (don't ask me to explain beyond "it's a series of moves" because I that's all I've got).  J was doing really well for the most part, but there were a couple of times when he would turn in the opposite direction from the rest of the kids.  And the black belts were either watching other kids or not concerned about it.

So... oh look, here comes That Mom.  Going to talk to one of the Masters.  Yup, I went there.  I asked him how strict the judging was for the best tests and if, say, turning in the wrong direction was something that might prevent J from advancing.  Have I ever mentioned that I am somewhat of a perfectionist?  And an overachiever?  And slightly anal-retentive?  Not to mention a teensy tinesy bit protective of my kids?

Well, I got the distinct impression that as a seven-year-old just starting out, turning in the wrong direction will likely not be a problem, provided that the focus and effort is there.

If I'm feeling like I might need a drink next Friday, I can't begin to imagine how J will feel.  Mom's going to have to do some Oscar-caliber acting next week lest my nervousness rub off on him.

No comments: