Sunday, March 28, 2010

One Down, Nine Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety-Nine to Go

So I'm currently reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.  It's an exploration of those who achieve greatness in life - rock stars, athletes, inventors, writers, and so on.  The author tries to explain the factors beyond pure luck that help these people reach their elevated positions.

One of the elements that distinguish high achievers from the rest of us is the amount of time spent practicing a given task.  Scientists have determined that it takes approximately 10,000 hours of practice to achieve greatness - whether playing a sport, an instrument, writing, it doesn't matter as long as the time invested is there.

This 10,000 hour threshhold got me thinking:  What on earth have I done for 10,000 hours?  In what area am I even approaching that amount?  Will I ever be an expert at anything?  Motherhood, yes.  And that is wonderful, but I also want to achieve the 10,000 hour level in something else.  Writing, perhaps.  And so here I am.  One hour down...

No comments: