Monday, March 29, 2010

You Get What You Get

I guess I always just assumed that my kids would have a family experience that was similar to mine when I was growing up - lots of extended family living nearby, all of the cousins sitting at the kids' table for Christmas...

Yeah, well, life didn't really work out like that.  Fortunately my parents live the same town we do, and the other grandparents live about an hour away, but it would be nice if the boys had cousins.  At the rate our siblings are going, our kids will be in high school by the time they have cousins, if that happens at all.  R is happily single.  He was dating a nice woman who has a boy one year younger than J that he and T got along very well with, but unfortunately the relationship didn't work out.  N is, how shall I say? not into the ladies.  I have absolutely no problem with that, but the likelihood of him becoming a parent is very small.  I don't really know what's going on with C.  I haven't heard anything about her dating life, so I doubt anyone is in the picture.  Kinda hard to have a family without a partner.

So yeah, I kind of thought that my kids might have a cousin or two by now, but that's not looking good (and, for purely selfish reasons, it would be nice to have the spotlight turned from us and onto C and her kids, but again, not likely).

To quote that old preschool gem:  You get what you get, and you don't get upset.

No comments: