Monday, March 22, 2010

Yeah, Right.

Call the waaaaaambulance.

I was feeling really sorry for myself last week.  On top of PMS and some other things that I'd rather not get into, I found out that the wife of one of Hub's friends is pregnant with her third child.  She has two sons, so of course she's having a girl.  For some reason, this revelation sent me into a mini tailspin.

Don't get me wrong.  I adore my boys.  If God came down from Heaven and told me that, if I asked, he would change one of the boys into the daughter I always wanted, I could not do it.  I would not want to do anything that would change any part of those boys.  I love them for who they are, because they are who they are.  But I do feel like I'm missing out on the experience of having a girl.  Now if I could get a 100% guarantee that our fourth child will be a girl, then I'd sign on the dotted line.

Here's the thing, well, things, that piss me off about being a Boy Mom.  (notice that said Things have nothing to do with my Boys themselves)
  1. The look I get when someone, usually female, finds out that I have three children and they're all boys.  If it's a woman who has boys, the look usually says, "Wow.  Yeah, I completely understand what it's like to have a son, but times three?  Wow."  I can usually tell which women have only daughters, or prefer their daughters, because then the look is more like, "Pity you poor thing.  How tragic that you can only imagine the joy of mother/daughter pedicures and birthday trips to American Girl.  Better you than me."  If it's a mom who also has three boys, the look kind of feels like finding a long lost relative.  Because our tribe is small and members are hard to find, trust me.
  2. That often quoted but never cited piece of research that says that each time you have a boy, the odds that your next child will be a boy increase exponentially.  I call bullshit.  If that is true, why do I only know of *one* other person in my age group whose three children are all boys?  (I just thought of another woman, but this is after five days of obsessing about this)  In that case, the two boys/one girl (in that order) family configuration should be rare, not the norm, as it seems to be.
Okay.  I feel better now.  Tell the paramedics to take me for a mani/pedi and I'll be fine.

No comments: