Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Space

I just realized something today:  I have no personal space.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, so unless my kids are in school or a babysitter is watching them, at least one of them is always with me.  Sure, I can escape to the bathroom or take a shower by myself, but they're always around.

Don't get me wrong; I love my kids and I am grateful that I can stay home with them until I choose to go back to work.  But today I finally realized why a long, traffic-filled commute - the thing that every working man detests and every stay at home mom longs for - sounds so appealing:  it's time alone.  It's just you in the car, with no one else.  No listening to the kids' station on the radio.  You can flip the bird at the car that just cut you off.  You can shout obscenities just because.

I'm sure sitting in traffic for an hour would get old after, oh, about an hour, but right now it sounds kinda dreamy.

No comments: