Sunday, May 2, 2010

Change One Thing

So yesterday I finally finished my fifteen day anti-Candida diet.  Yay! 

Now that I'm back to a "normal" diet, I am slowly learning how my body reacts to the foods that I am allergic to. Yesterday discovered that eating wheat upsets my stomach and makes my ears hurt (I recently had food allergy testing done and whole wheat, wheat, and wheat gluten came up as foods to which I am highly allergic.  I know, right?)  So I've decided that I pretty much have to go gluten-free. 

Little things that I need to change:
  • I can't have a sandwich.  Not tragic; I can just roll up the cold cuts like I do for the kids.
  • Bread crumbs.  GF bread crumbs are ridiculously expensive and often contain corn, so I bought a box of corn chex to grind into crumbs.
  • Baked goods.  I bought some GF flour for baking.  However, the tiny print on the bag states that xanthan gum must be added to the flour when baking.  Um, what does it look like and where do I get it?
I think the baked goods will be the biggest challenge.  So that's Phase I of my new diet.  I'm hopeful that this will help me feel better and stay healthier.

No comments: