Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Oh Yeah, That...

The last couple of posts have been about the transitions I am experiencing lately.  Well, I forgot to mention a rather big one.  And I am pretty sure that this is coloring how I am dealing with everything else.

For the past six months, I have been transitioning to a new stage in my life.  For the six years (and change) prior, I had been either pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to get pregnant.  Let me state that again so it will really sink in:
For six years of my life, I had been pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to get pregnant. 
For two years before we started a family, I was in graduate school for elementary education, interning in a school or working as a graduate assistant during the day and taking classes at night.  I had J two months after I graduated with my Master's degree.  Before that, I was commuting to work in Manhattan at a software development company. 

No wonder I've been going through so much emotional upheaval.  For the first time since probably graduating high school or maybe college, I have the opportunity to step back and see who I am and how I want to make a contribution to society (as an individual instead of as a mother).  I wasn't entirely sure who I was or what I wanted to do then, and although I am more sure of who I am, I am still not quite sure what I want to do.

It's exciting to have a relatively blank slate before me.  I have so many ideas for things I want to do, to try, but I am not sure where or how to start (hence this blog).  But I also look back and see how I got here, and what I would do differently, given the chance.

In unrelated news, I'm going out to dinner and then to see Twilight: Eclipse tomorrow night with some friends.  I think I'm a little too excited.  It's a trifecta:  dinner, out with the girls, and sparkly vampires on the big screen.  Squee!

No comments: