Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wheat is Whack

Last night I had a girls' night out.  Two friends and I went to dinner and a movie together.  More on the movie tomorrow, but about that dinner...

We went to a local Italian restaurant for dinner.  We all shared a margherita pizza and a house salad.  They were both delicious (at the time).  However, I paid dearly for my dinner choice hours later.

I got back from the movie shortly before 10pm.  John went to bed, and I stayed up for about an hour.  For some reason I wasn't sleepy.  Even after washing and brushing up, I wasn't particularly tired.  I laid in bed for an hour before falling asleep.  I woke up at 1am because I was itchy.  Turns out I had hives all over my arms and back.  I ran downstairs and took some Benadryl and tried to go back to sleep.

Did I mention that I break out in hives every time I have lettuce?  Yeah, the blood test I did in March came back negative, but I am pretty sure that I'm allergic to lettuce. 

And I'm also allergic to wheat.  I don't react the same way I do to lettuce, but I did feel foggy and a little nauseous all day.  Oh, and I was pretty darn cranky too.

So what have we learned today?  Wheat and salads are delicious, but I must avoid them - especially in the same meal - lest I put myself in the hospital from a severe allergic reaction and/or spend the following day in a ragingly bad mood.

No comments: