Sunday, September 19, 2010

Making a Statement?

While perusing ew.com earlier, I saw an item that Kelly McGillis and her girlfriend were recently joined in civil union.

Yeah, I didn't know she was gay, either.

Don't get me wrong; I take no issue with gays or with same-sex civil unions.  No, what I find interesting is the seeming increase in fifty-something celebrities who are "outing" themselves:  Kelly McGillis, Meredith Baxter Birney, Carol Leifer.  These women had marriages to men; they are mothers.  It certainly puts a spin on the "nature vs. nurture" argument regarding homosexuality.

Look, I don't doubt that these women sincerely love their partners.  But have they always been attracted to women and denied those urges, or are they choosing women because they were so badly burned by their former male partners?

Marriage is wonderful, but let's be honest, there are days (and sometimes weeks or months) that are difficult.  Days when you would much rather share your home with a close female friend because, with her, you wouldn't have to explain (for the umpteenth time) why you're so tired and bitchy the week before your period, or how draining it is to spend all day negotiating with a four-year-old while simultaneously keeping your two-year-old from scaling the fireplace.

I have no desire to leave my husband for anyone, much less a woman, but this does give one pause... 

No comments: