Thursday, September 9, 2010

Stepping Outside of Myself

I had one of those amazingly sweet and touching moments that you want to bottle and keep forever.

There was no school today, in honor of Rosh Hashana (L'Shana Tovah, everyone!). 

We had a playdate scheduled, with a friend who has two boys around T's and S's ages.  Needless to say, J didn't want to be there.  I can't say I blame him; why would he want to play with four boys younger than him?  A bunch of babies!  Fortunately, Grandma and Grandpa saved the day, and hosted J for the day.

Around 5pm, I got a phone call from my parents' number.  It was J on the other line, very politely asking me if he could stay at Grandma and Grandpa's for dinner.  It was definitely something:  I got to experience my son the way other people do.  He sounded so mature, a little tentative, but very polite.  My heart swelled with love and pride, and I even teared up a little bit. 

Thank you, J, for giving me a glimpse of how others see you.  You are a terrific little boy, and I am terribly proud of you.  I love you!

(note to self:  need to write about last night's Stamping party)

No comments: