Wednesday, November 2, 2011

One More For the Loss Column

Two days ago, I had this great idea.  Well, actually, it was my former roommate's idea, and I thought it would be cool if I did it, too.  I was going to participate in NaNoWriMo.  That's National Novel Writing Month, where gobs of people write a novel during the month of November and share their works (and encouragement) online.  The goal is to write a work of 50,000 words, which works out to 1,667 words a day.

It's now November 2, and I haven't written a damn thing.  Not a single word.

Oh, and I've never been big on writing fiction.  In fact, aside from short stories that I had to write when I was a freshman in high school, I have never written a substantial work of fiction.  The most creative writing I've done is maybe five paragraphs, and it is dreadfully bad.  Did I mention that I'm not big on writing fiction?

Needless to say, my inner demons are having a field day.  Procrastination, fear, perfectionism, all duking it out, and all kicking some major ass, since this blog post is the most writing I've done in weeks.

On the upside, I discovered that there's another event called NaBloPoMo.  Shockingly, it has nothing to do with Blow Pops.  (Admit it - like me, you also thought that this had something to do with "creative" uses for Blow Pops.)  It's National Blog Posting Month.  The goal is to post to your blog every day during November.  Thirty blog posts?  Of a length of my choosing?  And there are prompts if I get stuck?  Instead of a 50,000 word novel?  I am so there.

NaNoWriMo can NaNoBlo me.

Kidding.  But seriously, NaBloPoMo is much, MUCH more up my alley.

Bless you, NaBloPoMo.  You have saved me from feeling like a complete and total slacker and failure.  I can do this.  I can do this.

Here I go...

No comments: