Friday, August 13, 2010

A Long Day

I wondered if there was a full moon today, or a freak impending snowstorm, or some other explanation for my kids' behavior today.  Turns out it was just Friday the 13th.

I love my kids.  Really, I do.  But today was one of those rare days where I just wanted to crawl under a rock for a few hours, curl into a ball, and not deal with them.

I've already blocked out as much of today as I possibly could, so trying to remember enough to write about now is actually quite difficult.  I will do my best.

J woke up in a rather grouchy mood.  He didn't want to go to the lake; he said it was boring.  He wanted to go to Bounce U instead.  The three boys were all kinds of wound up midmorning.  There was the usual disagreeing over which DVD to watch (Fraggle Rock!  Wiggles!  No, Blue's Clues!), the usual chasing one another around the house, the usual T pushing S off the trampoline and, of course, the usual J tattling on T pushing S off the trampoline.

I couldn't take it any more, staying in the house.  I packed a lunch and brought the kids to the lake.  This week at the lake has been a bit of a challenge; my babysitter has been at sleepaway camp all week.  Putting suntan lotion on the kids took forever; S kept making a break for the dock as soon as my hands were covered.

The rest of the time at the lake was definitely better.  I was still in a foul mood (I didn't sleep well last night; Hubster decided to stay up until 1am blasting YouTube videos on his laptop), but spending time chatting with friends and neighbors was the perfect remedy for it.

Well, I made it through the day.  It wasn't one of my best, but it's over.  Tomorrow will be better.

No comments: